Normally, “half marathons” and “burritos” are never mentioned in the same sentence. Unless you are talking about getting some burritos after running 13.1 miles. But this Saturday, you don’t have to run 13.1 miles in order to get your delicious burrito.
Anna’s Taqueria is holding its 7th annual Walqueria – a half-marathon walk to benefit The Home for Little Wanderers. Here’s how it works. Starting in their 1412 Beacon Street, Brookline location, you will visit each Anna’s location along a 13.1 mile loop, stopping along the way for some free refreshments. For each location that you visit, Anna’s will donate $5 to The Home for Little Wanderers, a local organization ensuring the healthy emotional, mental, and social development of children at risk, their families and communities. So the more you walk, the more you can eat, the more money you can donate. Get those walking shoes ready!
The walk will begin at Anna’s – 1412 Beacon Street, Brookline – at 10:15 am this Saturday, September 21st, registration starting at 9:30 (you can also sign up on Facebook). The cost is free, but donations are welcome.
Here’s the route:
- Stop 1 (Anna’s Beacon St.): Free burrito and a punch card to use at each stop (for each punch, Anna’s donates $5 to The Home for Little Wanderers).
- Stops 2-5 (Anna’s MGH, Anna’s MIT, Anna’s Porter Sq., Anna’s Davis Sq.): Anna’s provides beverages, chips/salsa/guacamole, tacos and small cheese quesadillas for participants; other menu items available for purchase.
- Stop 6 (Anna’s Harvard St.): Free burrito to refuel!
Follow @AnnasWalqueria on Twitter or #AnnasWalqueria for additional updates and photos.
Anna's Grilled Chicken Burrito
Local Celebs Go ‘Behind The Line’ for Charity
Ever dive into an Anna’s Taqueria burrito and ponder, “If only the $10 I spent on this went to charity, the world would be a better place.” Well if you haven’t, you’re just not that creative because that’s exactly what the local favorite is doing in 2013.
While most simply think of the delicious eats Anna’s fills our stomachs with; at its core, they’ve supported countless organizations and encouraged fundraising at the grassroots level by helping local organizations like so many did for them over the years. That said, throughout 2013, Anna’s will be putting local notables/celebrities behind the line to flex their burrito-rolling muscles in support of the larger community.
Hosted monthly at Anna’s Harvard Street store, the rolling series invites guests to give back to local organizations by paying $10 for a celebrity-rolled burrito, with the entire cost going toward the charity of the roller’s choice.
Though the entire year hasn’t been released, check out the local holy rollers below.
- January 29 (Tuesday) from 6 – 8:00 pm
- Former Top Chef contender and resident barbecue aficionado Tiffani Faison of Sweet Cheeks Q will be rolling for MassEquality
- Jonathan Soroff of The Improper Bostonian rolling for the Caring for Carcinoid Foundation
- A.J. Soares of the New England Revolution rolling for the Boston Children’s Hospital
- Henry Santoro of Radio BDC rolling for the ESSCO-MGH Breast Cancer Research Fund
No word yet if Tom Brady, Rajon Rando or all of the current out-of-work Bruins will be joining these locals. I’d take newly acquired Shane Victorino rolling me some kind of Hawaiian pork burrito with pineapple, black beans, rice and sriracha.
If it were up to you, what local would you have rolling your burrito?